We have a policy of giving customers confidence in shopping in the Markets. As part of this we have a Market Shoppers' Charter.
We and the market traders here wish to ensure that you enjoy the experience of market shopping. We hope that you will find the stallholders courteous and helpful and that the wide choice and variety of goods and services on offer represent good value.
If you are not satisfied with the goods or services you have received from any trader whilst shopping at the Melton Mowbray Town Estate's market, you should do the following:
Approach the stallholder concerned, taking with you any receipts and explain the problem, quietly and calmly. In most instances the problem is usually satisfactorily resolved at this stage. If you cannot remember the stall location or cannot reach an agreement with the stallholder, please contact the Market Administrator, or telephone the Melton Mowbray Town Estate on 01664 566953 and a member of staff will be pleased to assist you.
You may be entitled to compensation or redress if:
- The Goods were sold as new and are now faulty and/or do not work satisfactorily.
- The Goods are not safe and/or not fit for the purpose for which they were purchased.
- Services are not as described and/or have not been carried out in a proper manner with the provider using reasonable skill and care and carried out within a reasonable time and at a reasonable price.
You are not entitled to compensation or redress if:
- You have simply changed your mind over the colour, style, size etc of the article, seen a cheaper product elsewhere, or have no further use for the goods.
- The Goods contained defects, which were made clear to you at the time of the purchase, or as described by a notice.
- The Goods have been mistreated or used for a purpose for which they were not intended.
If you are entitled to a refund you may instead choose to accept a repair, replacement or credit note if offered.
If you do not wish to follow this advice, you may, of course, seek your own independent professional advice. However, free advice on any consumer-related matter is available from the local Council's Trading Standards Office. The market manager/administrator will be pleased to give you the telephone number and address.